Music is an integral part of the life of St Augustine’s. From concerts by some of the finest choral singers, to sung liturgies, to community outreach and community singing, we are proud to have a strong musical tradition.
It was on these shores that Gregorian chant – the root of much of Western music – was first heard in England. It was brought here by St Augustine in AD 597, who we are told sang as he landed and made his way to Canterbury. When monks returned here in 1856, they brought the Chant with them, and under the direction of Ben Scott, our organist and choir master, the tradition continues.